Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Bare Kitchen Recipes | Sin & Soul Food Blog

So along with great pictures, I also believe that a good blog is also about trust. I promised you guys a Bacon Mac & Cheese post tonight, but unfortunately that's not in the cards. I went out job hunting today, and unfortunately that didn't give me much time for writing my post and uploading pictures. I promise! Tomorrow! But for those of you who have been anxiously awaiting, I wanted to at least do you the courtesy of letting you know what is going on.

On top of everything, I had a bit of a mishap today. A bit irritating really, because I JUST did this same thing about a month ago. I was walking through our local mall, in my sexy 4" heels after dropping off a resume, and I slipped and fell. In the process of falling, my knee took the brunt of the blow and it hurts insanely! I'm all for laughing at myself, and the first time this happened (in completely different shoes, so it's not the shoes.) I laughed my butt off. I even told everyone on Facebook and let them have a laugh at my expense. But this time? This time it hurt, and I have a knob on my knee and a very nicely developing bruise and hobble to show for it. Yes, you can laugh...but you should feel bad. I would laugh too, if it wasn't my knee.

Anyway, when I came home I forgot to pick up chicken for tonight's supper and I didn't have anything thawed and needed supper ready in 30 minutes. Which brought me to my next thing. I am a whiz at whipping dinners up with next to nothing in the cupboard or refrigerator with the exception of the bare essentials. T makes comments about how handy I am all the time, so why not take advantage of that creativity through my blog. Which brought me to "Bare Kitchen Recipes." Once a week, I will share a Bare Kitchen Recipe with you, something I cooked up with minimal ingredients in my kitchen. I know how hard it is to be creative when you feel like there is nothing in the house, so hopefully this will help you think differently AND be proud of yourself when you whip something up that the whole family loves and can't believe you pulled together with minimal ingredients. Also, let's face it...with the economy being so difficult, every little penny you can save, helps. I made a quick meal tonight and I will share the recipe, but unfortunately no photos. Forgive me? I hope so.

So I don't have a name for this...let's call it: Chili Cheese Rice

1 Cup Uncle Ben's Brown Rice, prepared as directed
1/2 can Cheese soup
1/2 can water
1 small can green chiles
1 can diced tomatoes
4 eggs
salt & pepper
chives, optional
shredded mozzarella cheese, optional

Cook rice as directed. Once entirely cooked add soup and water, stir until combined. Add green chiles and tomatoes, stir until well combined. Let mixture heat until bubbly, stir. Add all the eggs, leave them on top of the mixture until mixture is bubbling again. Break the yolks and stir eggs into mixture. Cook approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add seasonings. Serve in bowls with mozzarella cheese, or plain.

Let me know what you think!




No comments:

Post a Comment