Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Very Best Waffle Recipe Ever | Sin & Soul Food Blog

Tonight I was still trying to decide what to make for supper, when suddenly the vision of waffles came dancing through my head. Once I had that vision, there was no stopping me. I broke out my handy dandy waffle maker and my favorite waffle recipe and went to town.

I've had this waffle recipe for as long as I can remember now. It comes with all Toastmaster waffle griddles and I have heard tell that it's been around for years & years. One of those tried & true recipes that stands the test of time. What I like most about this recipe is the lightweight, sponge-like texture on the inside and the crispy, golden edges on the outside. These waffles also have a really neutral flavor that lets good old Wisconsin Maple syrup be the star of the show, at least when it comes to flavor. Mix the saltiness of delicious melted real butter, with good quality maple syrup, and these waffles and you're pretty damn close to Heaven itself. I can't make these often though, T will eat the entire batch and I am pretty good at polishing 4 of them off on my own. Not exactly the breakfast (or dinner) to eat if you're watching your waistline. We're suppose to be...but that's not going as well as planned. Maybe because I keep making dumplings, and lemon cupcakes, and waffles, and sinful sour cream, onion, & chive mashed potatoes. Hmmm. Good possibility!





Toastmaster Waffle Recipe

1-3/4 C. flour
2t. baking powder
1/2t. salt
1T. sugar
3 eggs, separated
7T. vegetable oil
1-1/2C. milk

Combine all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix with a fork. In 1 large and 1 small bowl separate egg whites and yolks. Whites go in the large bowl. Beat whites with an electric mixer on high, until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Add vegetable oil and milk to egg yolks and stir to combine. Make a well in dry ingredients, and pour egg mixture into dry mixture. Beat with fork until well combined and smooth. There will be a few lumps here & there, that's fine but the majority of the batter should be smooth. Take care to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to collect any dry particles that may be sticking. Believe me, they're there! The recipe says to fold the egg whites into the batter, but I find the opposite to work better. I very gently and very slowly pour my batter into the egg whites, and then very, very gently fold the batter around the whites with a flat spatula. Some of the whites will not mix in entirely. That's ok! Don't overmix or you will lose the light & fluffy texture that makes these so incredible. Be gentle.

Pour about 1/3 of a cup of the batter onto your griddle. Depending on your griddle, this may take some tweaking. Now, this recipe doesn't call to grease your griddle. I forgot about this, so naturally tonight when I put my first waffle on my (non-stick) griddle...this happened:






Yeah, not pretty. I fixed it by doing what I always do...pour a little bit of vegetable oil on to a piece of paper towel and rub onto the griddle.






Perfect, now we can continue to proceed with cooking our delicious waffles which will no longer stick to the waffle maker.





Last of all, slather with some delicious butter and some equally delicious maple syrup, serve with some sausages, and you are good to go! A huge thanks tonight to Mr. T, who kindly came into the kitchen again and helped me with a couple of the photos. Such a good boy...and he better be, since he ate enough waffles to feed 3 people. Enjoy this waffle recipe, it is my favorite but I am such a waffle lover that I would love to try new recipes. If you have one you love, please let me know in the comments! Also, if you have a suggestion or request for a future blog post, please ask! I love direction, you give it to me and you never know what you're going to get. Thanks again for checking out the blog! See you again tomorrow for the Bare Kitchen Recipes installation for this week!



No comments:

Post a Comment